Quote of the Month
"Know or listen to those who know." - Baltasar Gracian
Business Tip of the Month
18 Qualities of Remarkable Employees by Jeff Haden
Forget good to great. Here's what makes a great employee remarkable. Great employees are reliable, dependable, proactive, diligent, great leaders and great followers...they possess a wide range of easily-defined-but hard to find-qualities.
A few hit the next level. Some employees are remarkable, possessing qualities that may not appear on performance appraisals but nonetheless make a major impact on performance.Here are eight qualities of remarkable employees...
Marketing Tip of the Month
Top 20 Social Media Marketing Articles From 2012 | Social Media Examiner
Special for the Military
SCORE is committed to helping veterans, service members and their families looking to start and grow small businesses with significant, long term success. SCORE provides advice, training programs, and long term mentors for the life of any small business - no matter the stage.
We have an initiative that is targeted to assist members of our military (active duty, reserves, and National Guard) and all veterans and their immediate family members with many unique special offers. This program, sponsored by The Walmart Foundation, is called the Veteran Fast Launch Initiative. It provides:
- Scholarships to take SCORE workshops for FREE. Click here to apply.
- SCORE's mentoring program where Veteran Fast Launch participants are assigned a highly experienced mentor to guide them every step of the way.
FREE or significantly discounted resources for starting businesses, such as computer software and business services (provided by major corporate partners). Click here for more information
Please contact your local SCORE chapter for additional details.
SBA Tips of the Month
Does your business source or manufacture all its goods in the USA? The "Made in the USA" tagline can be a powerful marketing tool, but it can also make good business sense. It's important to have a clear understanding of what this claim means. Here's what you need to know. Read more
The federal government offers many tools to help small business owners understand their markets, but where do you go to find that data, and how do you use it once you've got your hands on it? Here are some tips for finding data you need and translating it into information you can use. Read more
Health Care Tip of the Month
5 Ways to Begin Designing Your Life in 2013 by Tim Brown
Great designers don't just do design, they live design. Like them, we can learn how to practice design thinking principles both at work and at home.
As you start designing your life in 2013, here are five ways to begin:
- Be optimistic, collaborative, and generative - There's something wonderfully gratifying about creating something new, whether it's an award-winning design or a home-cooked meal.
- Think of life as a prototype - Conduct experiments, make discoveries, change as needed. Any process can be re-examined and tweaked. Look for opportunities to turn a process into a project with a tangible outcome.
- Don't ask "what?" ask "why?" - Instead of accepting a given constraint, ask whether this is the right problem to be solving.
- Demand divergent options - Don't settle for the first good idea that comes to mind or seize on the first promising solution presented to you. Explore divergent options-and then set a deadline so you know when to move on.
- Once a day, deeply observe the ordinary - Make it a rule that at least once a day you will stop and take a second look at some ordinary situation that you would normally look at only once (or not at all). Get out in the world and be inspired by people.
IRS Tips of the Month
Proposed regulations issued on Additional Medicare Tax - A new Additional Medicare Tax goes into effect starting in 2013. The 0.9 percent Additional Medicare Tax applies to an individual's wages, Railroad Retirement Tax Act compensation, and self-employment income that exceeds a threshold amount based on the individual's filing status.
The threshold amounts are:
- $250,000 for married taxpayers who file jointly,
- $125,000 for married taxpayers who file separately, and
- $200,000 for all other taxpayers.
An employer is responsible for withholding the Additional Medicare Tax from wages or compensation it pays to an employee in excess of $200,000 in a calendar year.
The IRS and the Treasury Department have issued proposed regulations on the Additional Medicare Tax. Comments may be submitted electronically, by mail or hand delivered to the IRS.
For additional information on the Additional Medicare Tax, see our questions and answers.
Voluntary Classification Settlement Program (VCSP) update - Two recent announcements have information about the modified VCSP for eligible taxpayers who agree to prospectively reclassify workers as employees.
- Announcement 2012-45, Voluntary Classification Settlement Program
- Announcement 2012-46, Voluntary Classification Settlement Program - Temporary Eligibility Expansion
New resource from the Small Business Administration - The SBA.gov Build Your Business Plan tool guides users through the process of creating a basic, downloadable business plan.
December Hot Issues Report - This month's Issue Management Resolution System Hot Issues report includes information on the expanded tax credit for hiring certain veterans. Related link:
- IMRS Industry Issues Quarterly Report - September 2012
Recent IRS announcements -
- IR-2012-99, Interest Rates Remain the Same for the First Quarter of 2013
- IRS Seeks to Return Undelivered Checks to Taxpayers; Recommends e-file, Direct Deposit to Avoid Future Delivery Problems
- IR-2012-101, Plan Now to Get Full Benefit of Saver's Credit; Tax Credit Helps Low- and Moderate-Income Workers Save for Retirement
Business Round Tables
Special Martin Luther King round table. January 19, 2013 11:30 AM to 2:00 PM at the Old Train Station in Myrtle Beach. This is a brown bag luncheon to focus on women and minority business in on the Grand Strand.
Marketing Your Services to the Government
Monday, August 26th, 2:00 – 2:45 pm EST
Learn the tools, tips and steps for marketing your small business's products or services to the government.
Credit 101: Understanding & Improving Your Credit
Tuesday, August 27th, 12:00 – 12:45 pm EST
Ever wondered how to interpret your credit report? Want to know how to increase your credit score? Then join us for this free webinar, part of the Small Business Power Lunch webinar series.
Using USASpending.gov to Find Contract Opportunities
Tuesday, August 27th, 2:00 – 2:45 pm EST
Learn how you can use the USASpending.gov website to identify contract opportunities for your business.
Women-Owned Small Business Contract Program 101
Thursday, August 29th, 12:00 – 12:45 pm EST
An overview of the SBA's Women-Owned Small Business (WOSB) Federal Contract Program, which helps small, woman-owned businesses compete more effectively for government contracts. Topics covered will include eligible businesses, eligible industries, certification process and the program's benefits.
Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business Program 101
Thursday, August 29th, 2:00 – 2:45 pm EST
An overview of the SBA's Service-Disabled Veteran-Owned Small Business (SDVOSB) Concern Program, which enables eligible small, service-disabled veteran-owned businesses to qualify for set-aside and restricted competition federal contracts. Topics covered will include eligibility, contract set-aside requirements, other requirements and the program's benefits.